St James Church
St James Church whilst being listed in our directory with other churches deserves special mention with heritage, because of it’s connection to Queen Victoria.
On the 6th September 1831 the 12 year old Princess Victoria accompanied by her mother the Duchess of Kent laid the foundation stone of the new church. It was the Princess’s first public duty after becoming heir presumptive. The church was completed in 1833 and the Princess returned for the consecration service on the 12th July 1833.
Designed by John Nash and costing £6000 to build, it was regularly used by members of the royal family when visiting on the island as well as many of Queen Victoria’s ministers.
A special event in August each year is the jigsaw festival.
For contact details:
Minister: Rev Allie Kerr
Church Warden: Rose Mitchell
Regular services: 9.30
Holy Communion - (1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th Sundays)
All Age Service (3rd Sunday)